Vision Zero International
- Published: US Trade Publication – Advanced Vehicle Design and Technology, 2012
- Authors: US Trade Publication – Advanced Vehicle Design and Technology
- Date Added: 28 Feb 2013
- Last Update: 28 Feb 2013
Objectives: To provide the most up to date information on vehicle design and technology.
Methodology: Review of current practice.
- As with all motor vehicles, RTIs involving buses and coaches can be caused by a number of factors such as:
- Distractions; and,
- Drug or alcohol abuse.
- To address the root causes of RTIs the emphasis is on:
- Detecting and reducing driver fatigue;
- The elimination of driver distractions;
- Improved monitoring to eliminate drug and alcohol use; and,
- Training to reduce risk taking.
- In addition further accident prevention could be achieved through:
- Development and implementing stability control, collision avoidance and lane wandering-warning systems (see the Crash Protection Synthesis).
- Other upgrades are also discussed such as:
- Fire safety Improvements;
- Structural strengthening;
- Roll over protection; and,
- Preventing ejection from windows.
Coach safety design, Coach safety improvements.
Discusses various improvements that could be made to bus safety but doesn’t provide any examples of the magnitude of improvement that they can offer.